Frequently Asked Questions

Ground source heating: frequently asked questions

A series of frequently asked questions to help guide you through some common themes. If you have any more questions please get in touch.

What is the efficiency of a heat pump?

The efficiency of a heat pump depends on factors such as the energy source or how well insulated the building is. See our top tips on maximising efficiency, how it’s affected and how it’s measured. 
Learn more >>

How do gas boilers compare to ground source heat pumps?

Modern condensing gas boilers can be around 90% efficient. This means that 90% of the energy used by the boiler goes to heating the home, while the remaining 10% is waste heat that is passed through the flue to the outside. The heating system isn’t as efficient as it could be because of this wasted heat.

 

Ground source heat pumps can be 300% efficient which means they can deliver three times the amount of energy they consume from electricity. When multiple properties are linked to a shared ground array system, there is even a chance to increase this performance by utilising waste heat from applications such as server rooms and supermarkets – the options are endless.

When comparing ground source heating to gas, it’s important to consider the relationship between flow temperature and efficiency. A ground source heat pump operates at a lower flow temperature than a boiler, but that’s certainly not to say the heat pump doesn’t reach the building’s required temperature; it may just require a larger surface area such as underfloor heating or a larger radiator.


Learn more >>

What is the difference between an air source & ground source heat pump?

There are many factors that differentiate air source from ground source heat pumps – including the fact that air source units absorb heat energy from the air, and ground source units from the ground or water.
Learn more >>

What compliance standards can heat pumps meet?

Ground source heat pumps can help the affordably of a project and and easily conform to building methods and regulations. Explore the accreditations of Kensa’s heat pumps and how they benefit installers, households and businesses.
Learn more >>

What heat source can I use for a heat pump?

Ground source heat pumps can absorb energy from sources such as soil, water or rock. Find out how heat pumps collect heat and compare each source’s cost, space and efficiency.
Learn more >>

What is a ground source heat pump borehole?

A borehole is a type of ground array. Discover how deep they are, how they collect heat and what sort of projects they are perfect for.
Learn more >>

What is district heating?

Traditionally, district heating means delivering heat to multiple dwellings from a centralised system. However, Kensa has a low-carbon approach. Discover Kensa’s innovative Shared Ground Loop Arrays and how they connect communities to a net-zero carbon future.
Learn more >>

How do ground source heat pumps reduce air pollution?

Air pollution is typically created by combustion heating systems that burn gas, oil, LPG or biomass to produce heat. Ground source heat pumps improve air quality with next-to-no emissions. See the important role they play in reducing pollution.
Learn more >>